Recalling Maximum Velocity's 5137 axle extractor

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Recalling Maximum Velocity's 5137 axle extractor

Post by whodathunkit »

How many of you here on Dt can recall .. The Maximum Velocity 5137 axle extractor ?
This Antique Pinewood Derby Tool is a.. T handle tool that used a collet type grabber & a nut you had to tighten down on the head of the axle to pull it.
Un-like most of the T handle axle puller's that look like.
https://www.amazon.com/Pinewood-Derby-A ... B005ZRN4PG

Maximum Velocity's 5137 axle extractor image:
https://imgur.com/a/kMEPgfM
I believe this axle extractor tool was sold before the 2008.. 5136 Axle Extraction Pliers that are so handy and probably most used today.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Recalling Maximum Velocity's 5137 axle extractor

Post by Eagle »

Haven't seen one before.
Looks interesting.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Based on the subject topic, I thought there might be a manufacturer's safety recall notice on a derby tool!

I remember seeing those as a product offering, but never owned or used one. To me it always looked like the T-handle of a tap wrench, so I probably would have tried using one of those instead! But we never needed to... we had the other, simpler T-handle puller that you cite, and later the specialty axle pliers.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

FatSebastian wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:56 pm Based on the subject topic, I thought there might be a manufacturer's safety recall notice on a derby tool!

I was wondering if any one would think that from the topic head line.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

FS. It's crazy that you always thought the tool looked like a T handle for a tap wrench .. I have always had the very same thought about this axle extractor tool as well.

:scratching: Man were have the year's gone.

I think the first time I read anything about PWD axle extraction that it was in Randy's Pinewood Derby News Letters. ( back in 2007) Vol 7 issue 1 Oct 3rd .
In the speed tip's section where some one shared they used fishing line by wrapping it around the head of the axle to extract with out damage to the axle head.

And then seeing the axle extraction pliers in his Pinewood Derby Times News Letter
Volume 8, Issue 1, Oct 1st of 2008 in the product showcase .. if memory serves me right.. I could be wrong however!

I have used the 5137 axle extractor tool to extract axles in the past.. and man how it could be very cumbersome to get the tool to grab on to the head of the axel
and not damage the wheel if the axle head was pushed in or set to tight. (Today the axle pliers are my go to tool.)