Pinewood Derby in Subaru Forester Commercial

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
priority
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Pinewood Derby in Subaru Forester Commercial

Post by priority »

I just saw a (new?) Subaru Forester commercial that the story line was centered around Pinewood Derby. I didn't see all of it, but it caught the corner of my eye when I saw what looked like a pinewood derby block. The kid's car ends up looking like, well, a kid did it. His dad takes him to the Derby (in a Subaru, of course) and the kid is really proud holding his car. At the derby, another dad hands his kid a car that is a perfect replica of a formula-1 car. The commercial ends with the kid-made-it-looking car trouncing the formula-1 car.

An interesting reflection of the real world, isn't it?
Microwizard
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Pinewood Derby in Subaru Forester Commercial

Post by Microwizard »

The track for that commercial was made by Micro Wizard, and shipped next day air to California for the commercial. They got our anodize track for less glare. I can't wait to see this on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUUhEae0jaQ
Last edited by Microwizard on Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Microwizard wrote:The track for that commercial was made by Micro Wizard, and shipped next day air to California for the commercial. They got our anodize track for less glare. I can't wait to see this on Youtube.
I look forward to seeing the commercial.

I sure hope they don't just let that track sit in some storeroom and collect dust! Maybe Subaru needs to have some company Pinewood Derby races. Several years ago, I brought in a track setup for Mazda. If not, maybe they will donate it to a local Cub Scout pack or other group.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gospeedgo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gospeedgo »

Here is the commercial!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpdgANmC6xg

It is very cute... but I have a feeling a lot of us are the formula one racer Dads.
douginala
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by douginala »

priority
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by priority »

THX for posting the link!!!
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

First time Ive seen that commercial........I was just wandering do you think that the com was good and was he rr'ing or not.................... :P
wonderer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by wonderer »

gpraceman wrote:I sure hope they don't just let that track sit in some storeroom and collect dust! Maybe Subaru needs to have some company Pinewood Derby races. Several years ago, I brought in a track setup for Mazda. If not, maybe they will donate it to a local Cub Scout pack or other group.
As a matter of fact, a couple years ago Subaru did sponsor an open race here with a $100 prize for the winner. (They have a plant here.) They didn't have it this year for some reason.

I haven't been to their open race. But from what I hear, it brought in some pretty stiff competition.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I've caught this commercial a couple of times on TV now.

I was more than a bit disappointed to see a "hands-off" dad instead of one at least giving his son some pointers on something like cutting out the car. Oh well. Overall I did like the commercial.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote:I was more than a bit disappointed to see a "hands-off" dad instead of one at least giving his son some pointers on something like cutting out the car. Oh well.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that...
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

gpraceman wrote:I've caught this commercial a couple of times on TV now.

I was more than a bit disappointed to see a "hands-off" dad instead of one at least giving his son some pointers on something like cutting out the car. Oh well. Overall I did like the commercial.
Im a little bit confused by the message in the commercial:

are they saying that even the ugly car can be a winner, I.E. Subaru is wierd looking, awkwardly proportioned, and rarely part of the "in crowd", but is still a contender and winner?

Doesn't speak well for either the kid or the product...lol

Nicholas
wpauley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by wpauley »

Saw commercial and have been involved in BOY scouting for years and have never seen boys wearing Brownie VESTS. My SISTER did have one like the ones in the commercial. Does any cub scout wear those? I have seen the red Felt Vests but never brown ones, May be in some other part of the country but here in Illinois our cub scouts wear the Dark Blue uniform with neckerchief and slide along with the red felt "Brag Vest". I will watch it again a couple of times to see if I can see the patches, Someone please chime in and correct me if I am wrong, it will not be the first time. Bill Cub Scout/Weblo/Explorer, Two Rivers Council 1969-1981
Current Troop 26 Committee/Quartermaster Three Fires Council Fox Fire Dist Illinois
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I don't think they were trying to make the boys look like any specific scouting organization. Anyways, if they looked too much like Cub Scout uniforms, the BSA would likely have demanded a licensing fee.
Randy Lisano

Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

In Canada the Beavers wear a brown vest similar to that... but they race beaver buggies.

As for the link to the commercial, it has changed to:

https://youtu.be/p2ANYp_jI_0
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I just saw this commercial as result of seeing this post (never get a chance to watch TV). Not sure anyone mentioned this, but I liked the fact that the kid who made his own beat the kid who apparently didn't touch his car until it was check-in time.