Is teflon dry lub compatible with graphite?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Pack76oldtown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is teflon dry lub compatible with graphite?

Post by Pack76oldtown »

I was wondering if 100% dry teflon is compatible with graphite. Trying to stretch the dry lubricant rule for our dry lubricant inly race.
If the judges add graphite will it “gum up” the dry teflon? Or am I better off using pledge?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Is teflon dry lub compatible with graphite?

Post by Vitamin K »

I have never ever ever heard of anyone having good luck with dry telflon lube for pinewood derby applications.

Don't use that junk. :) I would stick with Pledge if you feel it is within the scope of the rules.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Please help me. I don't understand what you mean when you say you are trying to stretch the dry lubricant rule. Why would you not be using Hob-E-Lube graphite and learn how to lube the wheels by a recommended way. I have a tube in front of me with a $3.99 sticker on it. It can be purchased from Hobby Lobby.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Teflon powder alone just doesn't preform or work as well as graphite lube alone dose !
Mixing the two together is only going to compromise the performance of the graphite lube.

So you would be better off mixing different graphite lubes together then you would mixing the Teflon powder with graphite.

Teflon PTFE does not have mechanical occlusion characteristics similar to graphite or molybdenum.
In fact Teflon itself resists wetting and surfaces coated with these materials .
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?