Tips for winning the SLOWest Car?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
leerbennett
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Tips for winning the SLOWest Car?

Post by leerbennett »

Darin McGrew wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:36 pm Whether you can do something like that depends on the rules of your derby, and what is allowed for its "Slowest Car" competition.
A fly wheel might be considered an illegal power source. Adding weight to wheels might be an illegal modification of kit supplied wheels.
But I haven't seen rules targeting slowest car, as the award itself isn't very popular.
I have been promoting best-gas-mileage award at our small race for a few years, but so far no one trying to build a slow car. I figure we don't need any special rules until multiple competitors trying to build slow cars.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

I know this is and old topic/thread.

But, I would like to renew the conversation.

I am looking to do some special events.

I would love to know if anyone has a set of rules that they have raced Snail/Turtle that they could attach or email me.
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

We just had our race, and had one young lady going for the turtle award. Its named after her Grandfather, and his driving skills. We used the same rules for the fast cars. This coming year we are going to have a full on division because you can't go unchallenged!

The only rule we added into it, is that the car MUST cross the finish line for all 4 races, since she raced with the rest of her group/division. So, if the car came up short in one race it could not win the award.

Tagging myself in so I can see any results from your search Eagle.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

I would love to see pics and or video of what you ran. I am assuming you ran with other cars and this was just for fun - but did it finish every race in every lane? What did the times look like?

I'm working on a set of rules for a class all it's own.

So, any size?
Any wheels?
No weight min or max?
Any number of wheels?
No restrictions on mechanisms or electronics?
Do they only running a couple lanes?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Eagle, your rules look GREAT!
If you are racing on a 4 lane Best track, then using only 2 lanes is Great. That way the cars can be a bit wider and not come in contact with the other car.

I think you will need at least one more rule. I suspect you will need to limit the time a car is permitted to spend on the track from start to finish. When the time is up RING a LOUD bell and that's the end of the race. That is going to make a VERY EXCITING FINISH!!!!

OOPS! I just realized I assumed too much. Are you doing this at the West Coast race? Is everyone invited? I want to win this race.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Speedster,

Stay tuned. I am working on some special events. Some, I don't believe have ever been done in PWD. I would love to figure out a way to do at least 1 for prize money/fundraiser.
Cars must cross finish line. I am curious how one will keep track of winner if more than one car crosses finish line after timer times out.
I'm currently leaning more towards normal size limits.
And, Speedster we would love to have you race at http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Eagle, I'm going to be emailing you but I don't want to give anyone on Derbytalk any ideas. I suspect the only advantage I might have against others is time. Being retired I have a lot of time. Letting the timer time out should work. If you're running only 2 cars for each race that should solve the problem, If a car crosses the Finish line after the timer times out it doesn't count. That's what makes it Exciting. Running on 2 lanes doesn't restrict the width so much.
How much clearance is there between the track and timer?

Isn't this Exciting?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Dang, so now it has to finish slowest, but has to cross before timer times out? Now that is going to take some engineering and testing.

I do believe it may take more to engineer a slow car than a fast one. And, there certainly is a lot more available information to build a fast one.

I was thinking that if it got down to two cars that didn't trip the timer that a visual would work. They will be moving slow after all.

Clearances should be in WCGP rules as far as max height. Big Rigs would give max width.

Here is a set of rules that I was told was used for "Nationals". I'm still debating the extra length and width. If normal max limits applied it would require more engineering to get slowed down, would be less likely to not trip the timer, and would allow 4 lane race. And, people might enter who built a car that didn't finish at their race. Software wise, it is not a big deal. The Big Rigs have to be run separately, so this would just be another limited lane event.

I wonder what you'll think about the other event ideas I have in mind.

Your car MUST cross the finish line in order to qualify for the slowest time !!

2 runs each... average time will determine the top two cars for heads up race off

Top 2 slowest average times race in the finals

One run race off

Racing two cars at a time, one in each out side lane

5 ounces is still the limit on weight!!

Any PDDR required wheels and axles are legal

9" total length

3-1/2" standing still width (Lane width is 3 1/2")

Must clear under the Timer Tower.... 4 7/8" height clearance

Your car must not need any PDDR assemble before race

Excuses will be tolerated Bring em...

Every pass your car does NOT cross the finish line (Super ProMod Track Record Time) will be added as your time.

You can not use...

a. ---

b. ---

c. Starting or finish line devices or propellants.

d. Electronic or lighting devices

e. Sharp Edged Glass

f. Paint that rubs off, smudges or extremely sticky

g. ---

h. ---

i. ---

j. Sharp objects on the bottom of car. (We do not want any damage to the rubber stopping pads)

k. Any part of the car to go beyond the starting peg.

l. Sticky substances or anything on the car to aid with the starting peg, including the wheels.

m. ---

n. No dragging objects or any part of the car on the track. (other than the wheels)
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Eagle, your rules of April 6, 1:37 PM are perfect. If you run 2 cars at a time and use the 2 outer lanes, there should never be a problem.

Many years ago we had an OUTLAW race after regulation racing.

Here were the rules:
The car must fit the track and stay in its lane.
Nothing about the car can cause damage to the track. The decision is left to the leader.
The height of the timer was published.

I see your point on the timer. If the first car is fast and sets off the timer and the second car is very slow, it might not reach the timer before the timer times out. You would not have an Elapsed time for that car. That would be something to see.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

April 6 were not rules. Those were questions to mclewis_13.

It has to be more than that and maybe even more then ones I posted from "the Nationals" or you will end up with Remote control cars and more. 3 1/2" is even wider than a big rig. Outside lane on one side (of most Best Tracks has limited clearance do to starting arm. You have to clear finish line. If it is longer than like 9" you have to have a big rig extension. I like the idea of not having to assemble and/or reset some mechanism ...

The timer starts with switch at gate. The problem comes when timer passes 9.999 from the drop of the gate. If that happens then there is no way to get an accurate number to add up for longest total time.
One racer has suggested that cars cannot max timer. That would mean you want the slowest car under 9.999.

We'll see there are still details to be worked out.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yep, Mr. Eagle, it is a Remote control car. It is legal under our Outlaw rules. I built 3 , eight foot sections to attach to the end of our regulation track. That gave me enough room to get it shut down. I was going to have you or some responsible person operate it. I was not interested in a trophy. I just wanted all the kids see it operate. All my cars are built with parts from the Losi Mini-T.

I'll be in touch.
Best Wishes on the races.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

I've wanted to have one make a pass, get close to finish and then when someone goes to get it back up... I've also wanted to have one sitting in the pits where people are suddenly move. If I didn't have an impassable stop section it would be cool to have one shoot off the end and make a few donuts in front of the audience to kick off event.

I actually think another idea that would work is to completely stop a car with some sort of perpetual motion mechanism. So, wherever it stops, it will still move toward the finish line.

PS There is a whole RC Pinewood Derby group. Before the world closed I was talking to founder about having an event just for them. I think the guy who started and has all the inventory is wanting to sell now. His original idea of a stock looking block with wheels slapped on was cool.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Do you know who the guy is that is wanting to sell things?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Not cheap, but yes. He has a whole group on Facebook. I can probably get you contact info. Send me an email regarding if you want me to message him on FB. And, I would love for you to email me some pictures of what you have.