The West Coast Grand Prix

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: The West Coast Grand Prix

Post by Speedster »

OK, I understand. Thank you.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Eagle wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:55 am Maybe Randy has some insight as to X number of cars = X number of minutes to conduct a race.
Depends heavily on how well the race crew is organized, scheduling method used and the number of lanes on the track. Could be as fast as under 45 seconds per heat or more than 2 minutes per heat.

Here's some tips to more efficiently run a race:
http://grandprix-software-central.com/i ... up-my-race
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Eagle,
Just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow's race.. you've put in a lot hard work to make the West Coast Grand Prix happen.
Best of luck to all racing as well!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Good luck today Eagle. I hope things go well and smoothly for you and the event.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Results and video are up

http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Event Coverage of The West Coast Grand Prix.

Mark your calendars March 6, 2021

https://hanfordsentinel.com/community/r ... 66968.html
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

I didn't get to take any pictures, but I have uploaded what I have received so far

https://thewestcoastgrandprix.weebly.com/photos.html
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Great Pictures. Everything is nice and clear. Thanks for posting.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Speedster! Have you had a chance to watch the video yet?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yep, I think I've seen everything. The thing that made me smile the most is when I tried to count all the wedge cars and realized I don't know how to count that high. That is impressive. All the cars are beautiful. I think you might be the only one that has ever had a race with vintage cars, other then the one Donn Murphy put on. I Suspect everyone in attendance will remember the day Forever. Nice Job.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:57 pm I think you might be the only one that has ever had a race with vintage cars, other then the one Donn Murphy put on. I Suspect everyone in attendance will remember the day Forever. Nice Job.
Speedster, The West Coast Grand Prix is the only place that I know of as well.. where the Vintage cars are now allowed to race ( Thank's to Doug Griffth !)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Mr. Eagle,
I am fascinated by the intricacies of the trophies. I would like to know , from the very beginning to the very end, how they came into existence. They obviously were custom made. How can anything make something like this in such detail? Can they be any color? Can they be 2 colors? What does it cost to make one trophy?
Thank you.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

The West Coast Grand Prix

Post by Eagle »

Speedster, Here are some of them. My daughter Vanessa and I spent a great deal of time designing and creating them. We used a program called Tinkercad and a couple 3D printers. They take like 12 to 15 hours each to print. They can be made in any color available in PLA filament. We chose silky Gold, Silver and Bronze for first, second, and third. The other awards were done in white. We did Top Eagle and Top Olympian in a custom silk color. Had I not been so busy I might have attempted to add paint details.

As to cost. They are priceless. If you want to calculate each I'll give you some details. You need lots of time, imagination, persistence a 3D printer, access to a3D modeling program, and a lot of PLA. I know for sure we used 9 rolls of 1kg PLA. 7 of those were silk metal colors. PLA is around $20. a roll.

The perpetual trophy is all wood and hand built. The top wheel is done on a CNC and the center is a piece of aluminum also cut on a CNC. The wheel was designed by Joe Puma in NY. The file was then sent to me in CA. I asked my HS shop teacher(now retired from HS, but teaches at the local JC) to help me complete.

So, if you are looking to save time and or money a trophy shop (especially those online) would be a better place to go. I wanted something unique different and one of a kind - not only for the event, but for each trophy in each class.

We are already working on next years trophies. Hope you run http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com again next year. It is going to be March 6, 2021 same time same place.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

THAT IS FASCINATING and very detailed. Thank you for sharing. I know I'm going to get asked about the ones I have because I'm going to display them at our workshops. I Love the detail.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Just so others can get a better idea of what we are discussing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk