PINEWOOD DERBY 500

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

PINEWOOD DERBY 500

Post by Speedster »

Here's a race that is limited to 500 cars. Everyone is welcome. Lube is limited to graphite. Parts must be BSA so I would guess you can use 1 gram wheels if you choose. Cars will not be returned.

Hopefully an aluminum track is used. I'm going to guess this is going to be a very competitive race. Someone, perhaps many, are going to spend the money to build a very fast car. I didn't see anything about trophies or a Design category. If anyone has more info about this race I think we all would like to hear about it.

To all you computer experts. If you could send us those pretty Blue letters that directs us to the race it would be very much appreciated. Thank You.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PINEWOOD DERBY 500

Post by gpraceman »

Boy Scouts of America Virtual 'Pinewood Derby 500' - September 12, 2020 at the Texas Motor Speedway. It is open to all kids, not just scouts. Mail in your car and you can watch the race on Facebook.

News story - https://www.wsaz.com/2020/08/21/boy-sco ... derby-500/

Race Site - https://www.scouting.org/familyfunfest/

Note: They will not mail the cars back. :?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
OOBigFish
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by OOBigFish »

No offense intended, but who the hell is going to send cars to a race if they won’t be returned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

OOBigFish wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:14 pm No offense intended, but who the hell is going to send cars to a race if they won’t be returned?
That certainly is a valid argument. Probably, BSA doesn't want to pay return shipping for all of the cars. Though, at least let people send a pre-paid return label with the entry so they can get their cars back.
Q: “What are you going to do with all those cars?”
A: Cars will be used as a fun way to thank volunteers and staff for all their efforts in Scouting. Make it special! include a hand-written thank you note to a parent or leader with your car!
Giving the cars to volunteers and staff? Seriously? At least donate them to underprivileged kids!
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
OOBigFish
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by OOBigFish »

There’s no way I would put all the time, effort, and money involved in making a fast car to have it not be returned.

Mid America wheels - $50
Axles- 20
Air shields- 20
Tungsten - 20
Washers- 2

And that’s not even taking into account the time and skill put into the car.

I doubt any serious builders will send cars in without the option of having the cars returned.

Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

OOBigFish wrote:There’s no way I would put all the time, effort, and money involved in making a fast car to have it not be returned.

Mid America wheels - $50
Axles- 20
Air shields- 20
Tungsten - 20
Washers- 2

And that’s not even taking into account the time and skill put into the car.

I doubt any serious builders will send cars in without the option of having the cars returned.

I was looking into it till I saw the no return........nope.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

There seems to be a concern about the car not being returned.

Here are my thoughts. This is a RACE for Bragging rights. No one said the 1/4" block of wood needs to be painted. I'm sure many of you already have all the legal parts in stock. This race is open to all children and some of them are absorbed with speed. Everyone probably knows one. A very, very Fast car does not take a long time to build when you are following science. I understand the cost for materials will keep many from entering. That's unfortunate. Perhaps my team will be the only team that has a Fast car. If you believe that I have some property in Florida I'd like to sell you. I hope that made you smile. My team already has an advantage. The gentlemen who have posted on this thread are not going to be our competition because you won't be there. We will miss you because we know you build Fast cars.

I've read more about this race and I'm guessing there will be prizes for designs for those who build cars for designs.

Best wishes to Everyone.