New Derby Products 2006-2007 Season

Provides software for Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, Awana Grand Prix, Space Derby, Raingutter Regatta or other similar races. Providing high quality software solutions that will help with planning and conducting your races.

Moderator: gpraceman

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Derby Products 2006-2007 Season

Post by gpraceman »

Well, there are several new derby products now on the market. So, which of the new products do you like the most?

What products are not on the market, but you'd really like to see? For racers? For race coordinators?

To me, I like the new tungsten plates and Pinewood Wizard (wish we had that last year for my son's 3rd grade science project) from Maximum Velocity and the aluminum Space Derby track from Best Track. Pinewood Extreme announced some new products, but some are missing images and info, so I may be adding to my list. I am, of course, excited about my new RaceReplay video software. :mrgreen:

I'm going to keep my wish list close to the vest, though, since I have some things cooking myself. :wink: Though, I'd like to see what RacerX has still cooking, on his line of Pro tools, for this season. I understand that he is coming out with an improved wheel shaver at a minimum.
Last edited by gpraceman on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Derby Products

Post by gpraceman »

So, no one has an opinion?

I hear tell that RacerX is coming out with new designs for his Pro Hub Shaver, Pro Wheel Shaver and Pro Axle Press. Those will be good to check out. So, RacerX, when are we going to see these available? Any new tools?
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Thanks for the Plugs here on Derby Talk Randy.

We have been crazy here with all kinds of things going on so here is the run down:

1. We just finished the I-Hobby Expo in Chicago, WOW what an acceptance we had to Pinewood Derby. People were floored by the cars and tools. I think we opened a lot minds up to what can be done with wood and wheels. We had our web site running in the booth and Derby Talk is linked there so I hope we see a increase in traffic and new friends to share ideas and knowledge with.

2. We have greatly expanded our wheel program due to demand and stepped up our capacity to 3 in house C.N.C. lathes to perform all of these duties. We have added a line of needle axle wheels in both stock style and mod or razor styles. WOW you talk about fast. By reducing surface area per rotation the friction plummets and the speed rockets!! These wheels are not only awesome for racing with groups like WIRL, but we are seeing a lot of Dad's class and parents using them to get the edge. We have also introduced a full line of "PRO STOCK" wheels. these wheels are precision machined from B.S.A. stock and come in 3 different weight levels. There is a "PRO STOCK" for any rule book.

3. The new and improved Pro Wheel Shaver XT-2 will be on the shelves very soon. Like anything else, it just keeps getting better and easier to use, and it is a cool looking piece too!!!! The foundation of Derby Worx is still and always tools and products for parents and children to work together with and if you want to build a quality wheel your self, look no further. We have tested several pre-turned wheels on the market long before we stepped in, one of the first things we found is that with correct use,you could make a more accurate wheel with the Pro Wheel Shaver than most were selling on line. You can get your wheels easily with in .001" of each other and .001" radial runout with proper use and the new XT-2 will make it even easier.

4. The new Pro Axle Press has a counter sunk recess machined into one side to now help taper the head of the axle and reduce required reshaping before polishing.

5. David Meade of Derby Champ wrote a book called "Pinewood Derby Speed Secrets" that was just recently released. This book carries the offical Boy Scouts of America Seal on it which is a awesome. This book also features the Derby Worx Pro Hub Tool, Pro Body Tool, Pro Axle Press and the Pro Wheel Mandrel and the B.S.A. has told us that they like the tools and spirit of which they represent: Father and Son working together.

We have a lot of web site up-dating to do and maybe a surprise or 2 for later this season. We just can't believe where this is going and want to thank everyone for the kind words of encouragement and support the keep our imagination running wild.

Always let us know what we can do to help you with your derby project.

Race Fast

Racer X
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Racer X,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to checking out the new designs and especially the new tools that you have in the works.

I'm glad that you had a good experience at the I-Hobby Expo. I had a Pinewood Derby products booth at our Pow Wow, this past weekend. It was a very popular booth. :mrgreen: We had a chance to show off your line of tools, a Best Track, a Piantedosi Oars anodized track, several electronic timers, our software and car inspection gauge (of course), the new Space Derby track by Best Track (a review is coming on that), and some other products as well. We got a great deal of interest on all of these.
Randy Lisano

festiva91
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by festiva91 »

"The new pro-shaver is a definite must-have. The precision is totally in your hands. This is a truly fine shaver. The updated design doesn't require you to loosen up the frame and re-tighten the frame every time you have to make a blade adjustment. That saves a whole lot of time. Did I mention the new screw action was smooth? There is no binding or straining to adjust the blade depth. The new spring keeps the blade and adjustment screw in perfect harmony. The only major adjustment needed is to initially insert the pro-hub tool for truing the wheel edge and then readjust the pro-hub tool again to shave down the wheel face. The newly updated pro-shaver is a well thought out tool. The accidentally boogered up wheel is a thing of the past due to all the new updates. Many kudos to Derby-Worx on a great product!"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

I agree with gpraceman on the tungsten plates. Nice product.

Racer X:

Have you had a chance to look at this string?

About 2/3 of the way down the page you'll find my thoughts:
Go Bubba Go wrote: 2) The next logical improvement might be a setup like this, but with a deeper channel to provide for holes to be located at some predetermined maximum distance Y from the bottom of the block. Small plates could come with the thing and be laid in the channel (perhaps with a hole in the middle for a set screw) to provide for shallower holes if desired. The plates could be some thickness X, 2X and 4X (X in the mm range) to provide for distances of Y-X, Y-2X, Y-3X, Y-4X, Y-5X, Y-6X, and Y-7X when the plates are used in the various combinations.
Even a simplified version that came with a deeper channel and 1 plate for restoring the depth to "standard" would be handy.

Seems to be a bit of discussion lately around "low riding", so to speak.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

The pro wheel madrell-

Have instructions or info on recommended RPM speed, or not to exceed rpms.

Recess it more, so you can shave more off the inner cone.

A tool that I have not found, but posted some generic photos and set up elsewhere on the form.

A better alignment tool. That covers more than just the axle mount / drill spots.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BSA has added some interesting new products. I guess I missed these earlier.

+ Axle Guard
+ Rocket Booster with Flashing Light
+ Rocket Sound Wheel
+ Siren Sound Wheel
+ Red Dome Alert Light

See http://209.246.150.220/BSASupply/defaul ... S&c4=&LV=3
Randy Lisano

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thanks for posting the link.

Seems like they are adding more to their product line.

Some of the new products look pretty cool and the price is right.

Sporty
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New Derby Products 2006-2007 Season

Post by GILLS »

I too have been interested in the new weights.I have purchased the tungsten cylinders and plates for the first time ever! I have been using lead and tungsten cubes. We have a pack pinewood derby, church derby, and district pwd all within the next four weeks. So we plan on giving these new weights a good testing. We are looking foward to seeing the results we get.
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Gills, see my thread called something like, "Construction Photos using the Tungsten underbody plates" in the Photos section.

The car is pretty fast. The Pack race is this Saturday. But, it blows our last year's car away, and it was 5th in Council.

2k10h
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

My youngest son is a new tiger, and participating in his first pack pwd Mar. 3. The design that he has come up with will work best with the cylinders, but we have an RA race at our church the following week and we have picked a different design out for that race which will use the plates. I plan on routering out underneath the car and double stacking the plates and using a longer screw. My oldest son is a boyscout now, but he won second in last year's district pwd and first the year before. Those cars were built with lead weights and tungston beads, so I am anxious to help my tiger finish this one and put it up against my older sons cars.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

We switched from lead to Tungsten three or four years ago. The primary reason we made the switch was safety for my kids. Ultimately it has also turned out to be a little easier to build the car. Another advantage of tungsten is that it is relatively easy to reuse. We just pull it out of the car and run it through the wire wheel that comes with a grinder. Good as new.

I don't believe there is any speed advantage in using Tungsten. The obvious major downside to Tungsten is cost. I would hate to see how much we have spent on Tungsten. We have used the cubes, cylinders and plates.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

We are going to give tungsten a try next year.

The plant that I work at has a metal shop.
They have scrap tungsten cylinders that I got from the shop manager.

Total cost $0.00.

Can't beat that price!
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

tmbnorm wrote:We are going to give tungsten a try next year.

The plant that I work at has a metal shop.
They have scrap tungsten cylinders that I got from the shop manager.

Total cost $0.00.

Can't beat that price!
Dude, opportunity knocks!!!

I'd be offering to bring in donuts every time the guy fills a coffee can for you. One man's scrap is another man's PWD gold.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby