Need a solenoid for a starting gate

Solenoid start gates make for consistent heat starts.
CubScoutsDad
Journeyman
Journeyman

Need a solenoid for a starting gate

Post by CubScoutsDad »

I am building a eletric gate opener for our new track and I need your help. I have been looking a solenoids all day on the internet, and I don't know what to get.
Here is my idea. I want one that can be opened with eh push of a button and stay open long enough for the cars to clear the track. I plan on using a spring to return the gate back to the race position.
The best I can figure is that I will need a tubular pull-type solenoid that is intermitment. Now as far as the duty cyle and the resistance and force, this is where I get lost.
Does anyone have any experience with this that would be willing to help a rookie out?
here is one that I have been looking at:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PM ... O=30308419
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Need a solenoid for a starting gate

Post by TAL »

CubScoutsDad wrote: Here is my idea. I want one that can be opened with eh push of a button and stay open long enough for the cars to clear the track. I plan on using a spring to return the gate back to the race position.
I bought a commercial built gate just as you described and it is very inaccurate in consistant starting...

Your best bet would be to let the solenoid pull the lever that releases the spring downward loaded gate instead of the solenoid pulling the gate down ...

Reason being is because the spring will pull the gate downward consistantly and the lever holding up the gate will hold the gate up consistantly no matter what the weight force against the starting pins where as if a spring is holding up the gate as you desire the spring force verses the solenoid power can be very tricky and also solenoids are made for quick snap power release and are not made to hold the force of the spring for periods of times as you wish to have...