My attempt at Randy Underwood's Light Tree

Drag racing style light trees
M Webb
Apprentice
Apprentice

My attempt at Randy Underwood's Light Tree

Post by M Webb »

Goal for 2012 season = Build light tree with solenoid activation for start gate.

Now that we have done a complete year of racing with upgraded finish line from Newbold Products (Turbo Timer), and software by Lisano Enterprises (Grand Prix Race Manager, Race Replay & Sound FX), we are now ready to go the next step and build a light tree and solenoid activation for the start gate.

Seeing as though I am a "hands on DIY" person, I thought I would give Randy Underwood's design a try. So, I have sourced the components (still waiting some capacitors to arrive) and bought myself a bread-board (proto-board) and have started to wire it together. I haven't decided what to use for the lights as I haven't yet found something that I am happy with. I don't want to go as far as tnux (Tom N) Jan 28, 2011 did with relays and flood lights - very impressive though.

Does anyone have anything they would like to mention in regards to building this circuit or other points to note? P.S. I have read the "I have built Randy Underwood's Chirstmas Tree?" thread.

Best Regards

Matt
Wood & Wheels Racing
tnux
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: My attempt at Randy Underwood's Light Tree

Post by tnux »

Hello;
In my attempt I found a couple of mistakes I had to correct. Please note the corrected print.
http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... itemId=921" target="_blank
You should note the original plan dose not show power and ground to the 4069 chip and it does need it.Also the out for the start gate does not have enough power nor does it stay on long enough so I moved it to the connection between the 4071 pin 3 and 2003 pin5 link. This has ample power and stays on 3 to 5 seconds, more than enough to hold the gate open for the start of the race.
I also rearranged the light sequence because it doesn't work as described, so I deleted the red and just use yellow for the stage and count down and green for the go.
Hope this helps. As for different designs, check out micro wizard under accessories and new directions.
God Bless Tom N.
M Webb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: My attempt at Randy Underwood's Light Tree

Post by M Webb »

Tom.
Thanks for your guidance. I'll make the suggested corrections and give it a test. I still haven't settled on what lights to use yet.

Best regards

Matthew
Wood & Wheels Racing