Question about The Judge Cable

Commercial timing systems
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Question about The Judge Cable

Post by Vitamin K »

I can't find specifications on the website, so I thought I would ask here.

The cable that connects the Judge Timer to the start gate latch appears to be a telephone cord, but an RJ11 connector is too fat to fit.

Does anybody know what kind of cable it requires? Is it RJ9?

New Directions really ought to put this information on their website. We've got a lost cable issue and a race tomorrow morning. :unsure:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about The Judge Cable

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:04 pm I can't find specifications on the website, so I thought I would ask here.

The cable that connects the Judge Timer to the start gate latch appears to be a telephone cord, but an RJ11 connector is too fat to fit.

New Directions really ought to put this information on their website. We've got a lost cable issue and a race tomorrow morning. :unsure:
I believe it is a RJ9 cord. Four wire terminals. Same as a RJ11, but with a skinnier plastic end.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Well, we weren't able to find a cable in time, so we ended up just having to run the race by points.

It's nice that the Judge permits running in offline mode, but they really need to put more info about those cables on their site.

The link to email on the site is non-functional. Is there any way to contact them to suggest this?
gpraceman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:49 pm
Vitamin K wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:04 pm I can't find specifications on the website, so I thought I would ask here.

I believe it is a RJ9 cord. Four wire terminals. Same as a RJ11, but with a skinnier plastic end.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:43 am Well, we weren't able to find a cable in time, so we ended up just having to run the race by points.

It's nice that the Judge permits running in offline mode, but they really need to put more info about those cables on their site.

The link to email on the site is non-functional. Is there any way to contact them to suggest this?
The email is listed at http://www.newdirections.ws/ordering.html. John Shreffler is the owner of the company.

Not sure if RJ9 cables are still being used, or if that was just for older Judge timers.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Did some emailing with John and these are the tech specs for the cable. I'm gonna put them here in case somebody is Googling for the info and needs it:
The connectors are technically RJ9, also known as 4P4C, the land line handset size.

Also, the orientation is important (opposite to the telecom standard).
Honestly it seems like it would have been a better design to just use standard RJ11, but I guess it's already been baked in as the "standard" Judge cable.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:48 am Did some emailing with John and these are the tech specs for the cable. I'm gonna put them here in case somebody is Googling for the info and needs it:
The connectors are technically RJ9, also known as 4P4C, the land line handset size.

Also, the orientation is important (opposite to the telecom standard).
Honestly it seems like it would have been a better design to just use standard RJ11, but I guess it's already been baked in as the "standard" Judge cable.
John has been making his Judge timers for many, many years. I don't think he's changed the design much in all that time.
Randy Lisano