New to electronic timers

DIY timing systems
fidoracing
Apprentice
Apprentice

New to electronic timers

Post by fidoracing »

Hi all!

We are looking to upgrade our old fashioned track to a newer style, possibly computerized type of setup. If at all possible I would like to use our current track (2 lane, wooden) due to cost and tradition (my dad raced on that track, now my kids are). I would like a system that would give is the ET of both cars, and possibly a computerized scoring/ranking/scheduling software.

The cubmaster and I are familiar with electronics, and computers. "Do it yourself" or "some assembly required" kits are perfectly acceptable. Cost is a factor.

I know this topic has probably been covered here before, but if you guys could give me any help or current suggestions, that would be great. I would like to not have to reinvent a wheel that is already up and running.

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New to electronic timers

Post by gpraceman »

fidoracing wrote:I would like a system that would give is the ET of both cars, and possibly a computerized scoring/ranking/scheduling software.
Some software options are listed at http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... age&pid=19
fidoracing wrote:The cubmaster and I are familiar with electronics, and computers. "Do it yourself" or "some assembly required" kits are perfectly acceptable. Cost is a factor.
There are timer kits and plans listed at http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... page&pid=5
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
fidoracing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fidoracing »

I am really interested in the Grand Prix software. This may sound like a dumb question, but it sounds like the software is geared toward the Awana races. We are a cub scout group, is there any problems with that? I assume not, but I wanna check before finding out the hard way.

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

fidoracing wrote:I am really interested in the Grand Prix software. This may sound like a dumb question, but it sounds like the software is geared toward the Awana races. We are a cub scout group, is there any problems with that? I assume not, but I wanna check before finding out the hard way.
The software came about because of our Awana club's Grand Prix race, but it can be used for Cub Scouts or any other organization. You can name the groups and subgroups anything you want, so it is quite flexible.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

That is one of the great features I do really like about GPRM.

The groups and sub-groups can be typed in and the list is pretty much unlimited.

I do believe the only thing that a bsa race or any other group Might consider useing that Gprm does'nt include is elimination process racing.

If you are not looking for elimation process racing ; GPRM is the way to go.

NO this is not a payed endorsment and I am not affiliated with GPRM in any way other than being a very well satisfied customer .
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TAL wrote:I do believe the only thing that a bsa race or any other group Might consider useing that Gprm does'nt include is elimination process racing.
Well, that is only partially correct. Within a round of racing there is no elimination. However, if you wish to advance only the top N racers to another round you can. So, basically the only elimination is going from one round to another. I do generally recommend a two round format. The first round gives everyone an equal opportunity to race. Then the finals round is for the top cars to race for the trophies.
TAL wrote:NO this is not a payed endorsment and I am not affiliated with GPRM in any way ...
LOL
Randy Lisano

traderjh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by traderjh »

I understand that cost is a factor, still I would look into the SupertimerII. It has the best interface that I have seen yet. Our Section's Royal Rangers have used it for several years and are very well pleased. We usually race 100 - 150 cars each year and it works quite well.

As a word of caution, when racing a large amount of cars, the Race Manager default setting takes too long. (It races each car x the amount of lanes you are running. IE: Six lanes - each car runs six times.) So we started racing 3-4 lanes, so each car 3-4 times and it works fine.
Jim Hufferd, Sectional Commander, North San Joaquin Section, So Cal Dist.
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by cubdad »

I use the Swan Tech "Model A Pinewood timer" which was about $35 if I recall correctly. Nice millisecond accuracy when powered by D Cells (I think that AC adapters would hurt accuracy as most are dirty but I am not sure as I don't have anything to compare it to). You'll need another $8 in parts from Radio Shack for battery holder and a microswitch and such.

Some rudimentary assembly is required. They ask you to email them to confirm availability before you order. They are at Sales@swan-tech.com. Their site seems to be down however, not sure if that's significant.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

cubdad wrote:I use the Swan Tech "Model A Pinewood timer" which was about $35 if I recall correctly.
Keep in mind that this timer does not support a computer interface at all.
Randy Lisano

Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

cubdad wrote:I use the Swan Tech "Model A Pinewood timer" which was about $35 if I recall correctly. Nice millisecond accuracy when powered by D Cells (I think that AC adapters would hurt accuracy as most are dirty but I am not sure as I don't have anything to compare it to). You'll need another $8 in parts from Radio Shack for battery holder and a microswitch and such.

Some rudimentary assembly is required. They ask you to email them to confirm availability before you order. They are at Sales@swan-tech.com. Their site seems to be down however, not sure if that's significant.
I have 3 of those timers. Ran it on AA's. I added an AC adapter with some difficulty. I didn't think about AC noise and he didn't mention it. Hey, it's only a test track!