Help... DerbyTimer GPRM interface any one using it ?

DIY timing systems
Andy_Potvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Help... DerbyTimer GPRM interface any one using it ?

Post by Andy_Potvin »

I am having a little trouble finessing my finish line and GPRM I am hoping for some guidance !
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help... DerbyTimer GPRM interface any one using it ?

Post by gpraceman »

Andy_Potvin wrote:I am having a little trouble finessing my finish line and GPRM I am hoping for some guidance !
Which version of GPRM are you using? Please list full version (e.g. 7.0.1308.10). You should first make sure you have the latest update for your version. For Version 7, the latest update can be found at http://grandprix-software-central.com/gprm/updates.php. For older versions, the last update can be found at http://grandprix-software-central.com/g ... rchive.php.

Do you have GPRM set like outlined at http://derbytimer.com/docs/grand_prix.php?

Also, are you using a USB to Serial Adapter?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

Andy, I can tell you from personal experience that you are in a very advantageous position by being a part of this forum, as the key people behind some of the most important parts of Derbies frequent this board. I had several little quirky issues with the initial connnection between my brand new timer and GPRM, but with Randy's patient assistance, we worked them out one by one and now the system runs flawlessly. I encourage you to take full advantage of this forum, as it is a perfect foundation for your Derby "education". ( at least it has been for me )

Nicholas

Pack 529 / Lake Mary Florida
Andy_Potvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Andy_Potvin »

Hello all, Thank you for your prompt response,
I am using the latest update fro GPRM, 7.0.1308.10.
I do have the "Derbytimer (v1.26) configured according to the instructions found on the derbytimer website - at least I followed them, and I checked myself...could have made a mistake.
I am not using as USB to Serial interface my laptop is one of the few that still has a built in serial port (COM1).
I did test the configuration and it all seems to be returning appropriate data in the test facility of GPRM.
My principal issue is that the data does not get reported in GPRM during my racing tests...Basically everything in GPRM acts correctly up until there is a race finish.. the cars cross the sensors, the results do not get input/captured in to the heat.
All help is appreciated ...race day is coming (Jan26th)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Andy_Potvin wrote:I did test the configuration and it all seems to be returning appropriate data in the test facility of GPRM.
Are you getting times being reported in the Times section of the Hardware Setup screen or just in the Timer Input box?

You can send me your HardwareDebug.log file, from the program's main directory (C:\Program Files\Lisano Enterprises\GrandPrix7, unless you installed elsewhere). This file logs all communication between the timer and software. You can email that to support@grandprix-software-central.com. Once I see that, I'll have a better idea of what is going on.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Andy_Potvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Andy_Potvin »

I think I am getting times.....
I see time like data being reported ...with lane numbers and start and finish "codes"
Log File to follow...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I made a tweak to the data filtering that should resolve that problem. Please download the update at http://grandprix-software-central.com/gprm/updates.php, this will be Version 7.0.1308.12.

There is some unexpected data in your log, like 11111110 and similar. Looks like some on/off bits for something. I don't think it will cause a problem, but let me know if it does.
Randy Lisano

Andy_Potvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Andy_Potvin »

Hi Randy,
I can't thank you enough for your prompt attention on a Sunday no less.
I downloaded and installed the version of software you indicated in the earlier post. I reviewed my settings from DerbyTimer.com. I enter hardware set up, review my settings, exit the dialog. Then while in hardware set up I select start testing I close my start gate, open the gate, I see "B" in the timer data window - Start. If I cover each photo cell I can see individual data reported, by "lane" an "E" is displayed after I cover the last lane. Now I run a test race, the software complains that the gate is open, so I close it and restart the test race, open the gate , cover the cells, the finish times are listed in the order I covered the cells and the an "E" indicating the end of the race, I reset the gate - do it over ... correct finish order indicated and "E" at the end. I am guessing that is about the correct behavior based in what I expect to happen during a race. I.E.
Close the gate, load the cars, open the gate, cross the finish line , report the finish order update the heat info, increment the heat, repeat....
Do I have a fair understanding ? or do I have something out of order ?
I can't thank you enough for your patience and help...
BTW the binary looking results probably originated while I had the DerbyTimer in debug mode, it is not still in debug mode.
Do you need the Log file again ?
TIA
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You are understanding it correctly. Glad it is now working for you.
Randy Lisano

Andy_Potvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Andy_Potvin »

Hi Randy,
I am sorry I was not clear,
The first part testing etc, is what I observe. The second part is what I expect, racing and all. Unfortunately I am not yet getting the two to go together.
I needed to be certain that my expectations were correct so I was not trying to achieve something that the device and software were not expected to do.

To be very clear , I do not yet have GPRM and DerbyTimer working harmoniously. Everything up to reporting the results in the race view and advancing to the next heat seems to work fine. When I "escape" from the race results are posted but they are not sensible.

Again....I can't thank you enough Randy.
Best Regards
Andy
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Andy_Potvin wrote:The first part testing etc, is what I observe. The second part is what I expect, racing and all. Unfortunately I am not yet getting the two to go together.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. Please email me your HardwareDebug.log file again.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

A little extra tweak to the data filtering got this problem resolved.
Randy Lisano

Andy_Potvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Andy_Potvin »

An Outstanding response from Randy @ Grandprix Race Manager. All is working well and I am very happy with the performance of the system.
Thanks Again for all your help.
Best Regards
Andy
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Andy_Potvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Andy_Potvin »

We have been using GPRM with the Derby Timer for the last two years and it flawless. Thanks again Randy for your excellent support.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.