Mini Video Camera

Other race electronics and general electronics discussions.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mini Video Camera

Post by gpraceman »

Found this while surfing the web. Looks like it would be suitable to mount to a car and get video going down the track. Price is not too bad and it weighs only 1 oz. Many people have used these on RC airplanes and helos.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/video-camera.htm

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mini Video Camera

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:Price is not too bad and it weighs only 1 oz. Many people have used these on RC airplanes and helos.
Neat. Although I've not tried one, you can now find some nifty wireless rocket camera systems near that price point.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote:Neat. Although I've not tried one, you can now find some nifty wireless rocket camera systems near that price point.
Those would be even better, since you can display the live video feed to the audience via the wireless link. It is heavier, though, at 2.5oz with the 9V battery for the 2.4GHz camera.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I have used the exact one posted above from BoosterVision.

The kids have alot of fun with it...the often put the 'camera truck' on the track backwards and allow it to launch first - giving them a 'chase view' of their cars. We open the track to free-format racing after the event.

Like any wireless connection, you get some occasional flicker and static from flourescent lights and sometimes the jarring of the track ride. But overall quality is quite good.

Here is a link to some pics of the car:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3278&p=30922&hilit=news#p30922
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

I recently ordered a camera at the link below, and just received it today. The price was sure right. Initial tests around the house look much better than I expected -- very little interference! I anticipate this being a big hit at our workshop and on derby day!

One buying criterion I had was not to get something in the 2.4GHz range, for fear of interference with WiFi networks. (We've certainly had poor experiences with some cordless phones in that range.) YMMV.

http://www.unitedsale.com/Mini-Tiny-Wir ... p_751.html

Variations on this camera (different frequencies; with and without audio; with and without power adapters) seem to abound on the internet; this was the best price I've seen.

/JEP
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Jeff Piazza wrote:I recently ordered a camera at the link below, and just received it today.
Neat find Jeff - thanks for posting! Q: Is that an RCA jack sticking out of the camera (and if so, can it be removed easily)? Where / how does the 9V battery plug up? Pictures of the camera mounted onto a car would be appreciated!
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

FatSebastian wrote:Q: Is that an RCA jack sticking out of the camera (and if so, can it be removed easily)? Where / how does the 9V battery plug up? Pictures of the camera mounted onto a car would be appreciated!
I've only had it a couple hours, so I don't have it mounted on a car yet.

The cable sticking out is the power connector; it accepts either the 9V battery cable or the power adapter cable. I agree it's kind of big, especially relative to the camera itself.

/JEP
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Jeff Piazza wrote:I've only had it a couple hours, so I don't have it mounted on a car yet.
Even a photo of it beside / on top of a block would suite me, as I was just hoping for some perspective as to how much real estate the camera with battery might take up. The actual size was not obvious to me from the web page. Thanks!
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

OK, here are a few pictures with the remains of one of last year's test vehicles, along with the receiver.

FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:thanks: (Are those little LEDs at the corners of the camera?)
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

From scraps and spare wheels, I built a camera car around the "mini spy cam" I recently bought. (I'll add a picture later, although it's not a thing of beauty.) A feature of the car is the ability to pivot the camera right and left, to get a better view of the car in the adjacent lane(s).

This past weekend I ran a workshop for our pack (with the track set up), and then also ran a race for a different pack. In both events, the camera car (being displayed just on a television) was a big hit. Setting up the receiver near the midpoint of the track gave terrific video, with little or no break-up or interference.

For the workshop, I let the boys run the camera car along with their in-progress creations. A little bit of supervision was necessary, to overcome the boys' natural tendency to stage crashes on the track, etc.

In the pack race, for the Webelos heats, there were only three Webelos running on a four-lane track. So, naturally, we ran the camera car in the "bye" lane. By the last heat, the scouts around the track were chanting encouragement for the "bye" car...

I used a single 9-volt Duracell battery for both events, a total of probably 5 or 6 hours of use. I found the battery needed a "rest" after a few hours -- the video stopped, and required disconnecting the battery for at least a short time. When the battery was reconnected, the video was as solid as ever.

In building the camera car, I chose to use unprepared wheels and axles, and generally not to do anything to try to make the car faster. (I did apply graphite.) This is in part because I wanted to leave the winning to the boys, and also because it's better video to get the camera car's view of the car in the next lane pulling ahead. For the next outing, I think I'm going to try adding a sail to slow the camera car down even more, and actually allow adjusting the speed.

Also for the next outing, I'm going to have to bring a VCR (remember those?) or something to capture some of the video.

This is way too much fun.

/JEP
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

It's not much to look at, but the video it produces is great!

The housing for the camera itself took a lot of careful fitting, but the result is that it holds the camera securely (safe even against cub scout handling!), while also allowing the camera to be removed.

The battery housing in the back keeps the 9v battery in place mainly by downward pressure from the compartment "roof". (You'll notice the roof is splitting, though.)

/JEP
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Jeff Piazza wrote:The housing for the camera itself took a lot of careful fitting, but the result is that it holds the camera securely (safe even against cub scout handling!), while also allowing the camera to be removed.

The battery housing in the back keeps the 9v battery in place mainly by downward pressure from the compartment "roof". (You'll notice the roof is splitting, though.)
Very nice.

On the battery, Radio Shack has a 9V battery clip that they sell. Just look through their parts drawers. A screw will hold the clip to the car body. That may work out better for you for holding the battery in place.
Randy Lisano

PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PhantomVirus »

Those radio shack clips are cheap and work well. I am in the process of building a police car with my son with blinking red/blue LED's all driven off of a 9V battery.

Will post pics as this thing evolves.......it is a bummer that the auto blinking LEDs are only 9 volt and I have to use that huge honkin battery.

Incorporating a 9v battery into a car that might actually place is going to be a huge challenge.......

R
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

PhantomVirus wrote:... I have to use that huge honkin battery. Incorporating a 9v battery into a car that might actually place is going to be a huge challenge...
:thinking: LEDs don't draw much current. Could you connect six small 1.5v batteries in series (e.g., hearing aid batteries, or "button" batteries)? I've seen 10-packs of those at the dollar store.