basic question about cables

Other race electronics and general electronics discussions.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

basic question about cables

Post by pack529holycross »

This may be a simple question, but I am wanting to know the right answer before I buy anything...

I'm prepping for the Pack Derby on Saturday and was successful in getting my Dazzle Video Capture device to operate with my HD Videocam for use with RaceReplay. Here is my question - the connections between the Cam and the Device are RCA type connections - Audio and Video, plus S-Video. Is there any difference between a Cable Extension with RCA Jacks that is labelled " audio cable extension " and a cable that is labelled "composite video extension " ?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: basic question about cables

Post by *5 J's* »

In general - no, however, a few video cables have a better shielding - but these are generally the substantially higher priced ones.

How much of an extension are you running? I am using a generic 12ft rca extension to feed composite video to an overhead projector (in addition to an RGA and HDMI input) with no noticeable degradation in the composite signal.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

The only thing that I have seen different from a composite versus the standard rca jacks. Is that some of them seem to have a longer housing or longer pin.

They cost more, because they are a better quality cable and designed for the three colors, versus the rca, which they are compined into one jack.

They feel that with the one jack, its harder to get the better quality , as the lines are so close together, they feel there can be some signal / electric interferance with one another that close together.

Not to mentioned, on the video card side of thngs it's processed a little differently.

Keep in mind a good computer and good video card, is still recommend, for processing it through the computer.

The better conversion or transfer software and equipment, the less you loose from the transfer.

If you are going from digital file to computer, then you really do not lose anything, unless the computer and video card, are not as good, if you edit it.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

I just bought two of these $4.99 each, which provides a Video Signal perfectly fine even over two lengths ( 40' ):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23 ... _desc=null

Dynex™ - 20' RCA Speaker Wire Extension Cable
Model: DX-AD110 | SKU: 9390697

Customer Reviews: Be the first to write a review.