Serial port hookups?

General timing system discussions.
Scott Morgan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Serial port hookups?

Post by Scott Morgan »

I just bought a new lap top, downloaded "Grand Prix Race Manager", hooked up the freshly painted new "christmas tree" that I had just made to the parallel port and then got out out our new Racemaster finish line detector with a serial port. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!! How dumb can I be! I never looked at the ports when I bought it. There is NO serial port!! To add insult to injury the light tree doesn't work either even with the AC adapter hooked up! :( The light tree does work if triggered with batteries so I guess I'll add the low current modification and get that part working but how about the serial port problem? Has anyone tryed using a serial port to USB adaptor? Will it need a driver? Will the "Race Manager" software be able to access this port? I need help, race day is drawing close!!! :shock:
Scooter I
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Serial port hookups?

Post by terryep »

USB to serial port converters come with a driver. I've used them without problems. The IO Gear GUC232A is the best one I've tested.
http://www.iogear.com/

Terry
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Scott Morgan wrote:To add insult to injury the light tree doesn't work either even with the AC adapter hooked up! :( The light tree does work if triggered with batteries so I guess I'll add the low current modification and get that part working but how about the serial port problem?
Which plans did you use to construct the light tree? Since the parallel port only uses 5V, you cannot use a very long cable from your computer. It should be as short as possible. Though, I did hear of comeone using a 50' CAT 8 cable successfully.
Scott Morgan wrote:I never looked at the ports when I bought it. There is NO serial port!!
I take it that you are using a laptop. If you have or can get a base station, the base station should have at least one parallel and serial port.

You can try using a USB to serial convertor as terryep suggested. It will work with GPRM as long as the driver will emulate the port as one of the ports between COM 1 and 7.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Scott Morgan wrote:I just bought a new lap top, downloaded "GrandPrix Race Manager", hooked up the freshly painted new "christmas tree" that I had just made to the parallel port and then got out out our new Racemaster finish line detector with a serial port. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!! How dumb can I be! I never looked at the ports when I bought it. There is NO serial port!! To add insult to injury the light tree doesn't work either even with the AC adapter hooked up! :( The light tree does work if triggered with batteries so I guess I'll add the low current modification and get that part working but how about the serial port problem? Has anyone tryed using a serial port to USB adaptor? Will it need a driver? Will the "Race Manager" software be able to access this port? I need help, race day is drawing close!!! :shock:
We just bought "GrandPrix Race Manager" and we are using a serial port to USB adaptor without any problems.