Lights for lightbridge

General timing system discussions.
Dad of 3
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Lights for lightbridge

Post by Dad of 3 »

Currently we have basically an aquarium light in our lightbridge. It uses two 40 watt tube type bulbs. We have a 4 lane aluminum track and a Newbold timer. I am debating on switching to Four 20 watt Xenon puck lights. My thinking is the light would be more direct and less ambient light. Is there anyone that knows more about this that could confirm whether this is a good idea or not?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lights for lightbridge

Post by gpraceman »

Dad of 3 wrote:Currently we have basically an aquarium light in our lightbridge. It uses two 40 watt tube type bulbs. We have a 4 lane aluminum track and a Newbold timer. I am debating on switching to Four 20 watt Xenon puck lights. My thinking is the light would be more direct and less ambient light. Is there anyone that knows more about this that could confirm whether this is a good idea or not?
I don't know about the puck lights. You do want to make sure you are not flooding the sensors with too much light. Glare off of the track and even off of the cars can be worse with too bright of a light source.

I have heard of people running into timer problems when using flourescent lights, since they are not constantly on (they pulse), so I would recommend not using that type.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

This is definitely not a case where more is better. You are three orders of magnitude too bright with the Xenon. If you want to go with incandescent (filament) type lights, that is ok, but four flashlight bulbs wired so that they are just orangy bright is more than enough. If you want to try IR diodes, let me know your address. I will send you four with a schematic.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
craig_newbold
Merchant
Merchant

Post by craig_newbold »

Hi "Dad of 3",

Not sure if you have a copy of the User's Guide for your DTX000. If not, you can download a copy from here:
http://www.pinewood-derby-timer.com/Manuals.html

As described in the guide, we recommend using a 60-75W incandescent bulb for every 3-4 lanes. This can be 3-6 feet above the track. If you are closer to the track, then lower wattage could be used. A small flashlight bulb would not be adequate. The design is intended to use incandescent lighting, although some have used Halogen also.

Regards,
Craig Newbold
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

I will defer to that information. I use a rather sensitive sensor in my products.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
Dad of 3
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Dad of 3 »

Thanks for info, it looks like I have some more research to do. Our light bridge currently 80 watts is about 10 inches above the track. Last year we had some camera flashes that gave false readings. I thought that maybe if I flooded them with light the flash wouldn't have an impact. Sounds like that is not the case.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Make sure to recess the sensors down into the track about a 1/4" or more. This will help make sure they are focused on the intended light source and will be much less likely to be affected by other sources.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.