Finishing a paintedosi track

Commercial tracks.
sportsandspeed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Finishing a paintedosi track

Post by sportsandspeed »

Howdy! What's the best finish to use for a paintedosi wooden track? I was thinking of using clear laquer as a finish. Our track is only a few years old, and I want it to look good for our PWD in January. Right now it is unfinished, but it has some graphite stains on it from previous year's use.
Thanks!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Finishing a paintedosi track

Post by Stan Pope »

I like mineral spirits for cleaning off graphite. Dampen (don't "drench") a cloth with mineral spirits and rub the surface with the cloth.

I think that many have had good results with shellac as a finish. It tends to be thinner and less risk of "runs" or "pools" that create a bumpy finish.

You should check in advance that the cleaning solution does not leave any residue that affects the finish.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sportsandspeed wrote:What's the best finish to use for a paintedosi wooden track?
This is what Piantedosi Oars recommended in the instructions that came with their track:
It is only necessary to apply a finish to help keep the track clean. Please note that if you select to do so then you must finish both sides. There are many varnishes and paints which can readily be applied. The simplest to use would be just about any interior or exterior latex house paint; follow the directions on the can. For those of you who prefer a clear finish it would be our recommendation to use a water-based sanding sealer and a water-based urethane topcoat. The brand available at our local supply store is 'CARVER TRIPPS Safe-n-Easy'. Other manufacturers make similar products which may be distributed in your area. These materials go on easily, dry quickly without fumes, and clean up with warm water. We would also recommend the use of inexpensive foam poly-brushes. These will 'sponge-up' excess material more readily than expensive bristle brushes. The sealer coat sands easily without build-up. The sandpaper you should use is referred to as 'rub-out' paper and is available at paint and wallpaper stores. Technically speaking it is a stearated open coat silicon carbide in a 180-220 grit. You will not need more than two sheets.
See also this post, which suggests water-based polyurethane.
Last edited by FatSebastian on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Good info, FS! Best to go wtih the manufacturer's recommendations ... they have finished a lot more tracks than I have!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
sportsandspeed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sportsandspeed »

Awesome! I looked and looked and couldn't find that info!
habcdb
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by habcdb »

Another water based product is Minwax Polycrylic sold at Lowes. That is what I used on a wood track. I put four coats on with a foam brush and sanded in between each coat with 320 grit foam pads also sold at Lowe's.
CDB Racing