Lets Talk Test "track"

Commercial tracks.
KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lets Talk Test "track"

Post by KiaTia »

Does anyone here uses or know someone who uses the single run aluminum track for testing? I guess I am just dreaming but thinking about buying either a single or a double for at home testing. I do not have access to a track and our Pack uses another Pack to run our races. I guess I am wondering about quality of a single track vs. the double. Photos would be helpful I have found a one or two people on YouTube with doubles but no singles. I am looking at the full sized 32 to 42 foot runs not the 20 foot test track.

??
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Lets Talk Test "track"

Post by FatSebastian »

KiaTia wrote:I guess I am just dreaming but thinking about buying either a single or a double for at home testing. I do not have access to a track and our Pack uses another Pack to run our races.
We have a homemade, single-lane track made from PVC 1x4s, with a wood-lath center rail, in the traditional style (e.g., Piantedosi). PVC is smoother and more flexible than wood, but I doubt that makes it comparable to aluminum. Because of its single lane, it stores compactly and is light weight (relatively speaking of course). The money we saved we spent on a timer for it. The choice is clear between a single lane with timer or a double lane without a timer - go with the timer.

One concern about investing a lot in a commercial track is that ideally it should be like the one you expect to be racing on. As far as I know, only Best Track makes an aluminum single-lane track - is that the style of track you race on? (Even if it is, if your unit borrows their track, that arrangement could change and you might find yourself racing on a different style track in the future.)
sirslotalot1
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by sirslotalot1 »

I like the idea of a single lane aluminum test track with timer. But is there any advantage to a double lane for home testing?
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

If you have a timer, there is really no advantage from a testing perspective, however, your son may like seeing his current car racing against previous cars (either this year, or future years) to truly see the difference and get a feel for what little changes can do.
KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by KiaTia »

sirslotalot1 wrote:I like the idea of a single lane aluminum test track with timer. But is there any advantage to a double lane for home testing?
OK here is my thought on that what if you get a single track and get a slow lane? ( think about it ) If you had two lanes you can then have some variance when testing.
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

A "slow" lane is relative. Times are not applicable from track to track, so all that really matters from a test track perspective if how you compare to the previous run(s) on that same lane. If you also keep track of your times for your car from the year before, and then bring it out once you set up the track for a new season (if you take it down), you can use that to see variances in setup from year to year. Really the only reason I see for a multiple lane test track is to have fun racing. I personally do not see a benefit to multiple lanes for testing if you have a timer.
sirslotalot1
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by sirslotalot1 »

Rukkian,
I think your right. My motivation for a test track is to test. And as you say your keeping track of times, then a one lane is perfect.

What do think about a 2 lane to help keep my sons interest in it?
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

That I could definately see - we had a test night last weekend on the pack track, and while the older kids understood the times, the younger ones really wanted to see them race each other (which we were not allowing).
KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by KiaTia »

Rukkian wrote:A "slow" lane is relative. Times are not applicable from track to track, so all that really matters from a test track perspective if how you compare to the previous run(s) on that same lane. If you also keep track of your times for your car from the year before, and then bring it out once you set up the track for a new season (if you take it down), you can use that to see variances in setup from year to year. Really the only reason I see for a multiple lane test track is to have fun racing. I personally do not see a benefit to multiple lanes for testing if you have a timer.
My boys are still young and after the race is over the cars are theirs to play with. In other words they are never the same.