Weight Rack?

Commercial tracks.
dfscott
Journeyman
Journeyman

Weight Rack?

Post by dfscott »

Ok, I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'm looking at the assembly instructions for our borrowed aluminum track that I just picked up (I believe it's a Piantedosi). On page 4 it talks about a "weight rack hole" and "two ten pound weights." The guy I borrowed it from said that some people weight the track, but they never bothered. Is that really an optional item? If it isn't, where do I get 10 pound weights and a weight rack?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Weight Rack?

Post by FatSebastian »

dfscott wrote:If it isn't, where do I get 10 pound weights and a weight rack?
Quoting the manufacturer's page:

"A special weight rack induces the curvature in the track and facilitates positive seating against the floor. Please note: We do not provide the two 10lbs weightlifting plates specified. If someone does not have these in their basement it will be a $6 purchase at Sears or Wal-mart. We could not ship them for that amount."

In the figure, the weights are the circular things hung from the bottom. The weights stabilize the track and dampen vibrations. The "rack" is simply a dowel which fits through the center of the circular weights and holes in the crossmember. We use the cheap Orbatron plastic weights filled with cement.
dfscott
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by dfscott »

Ah, that makes sense now -- I guess I'll be taking a trip to Target tomorrow. :)
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by stang68 »

FS
Now you have your thunder back,good post.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

stang68 wrote:Now you have your thunder back,good post.
(An apparent reference to this recent post.) Thanks, stang.