Our homemade track... videos of just completed track

DIY tracks.
Hurly64
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Our homemade track... videos of just completed track

Post by Hurly64 »

DM, The axle method works beautifully! No more bounce! And its so much more simpler than installing hinges. I just drilled two 7/8 holes in the side rails and shoved a piece of 1/2 inch PVC pipe in there. I've got 3 aluminum dowels drilled into it. Now to finish the legs and brace and I'm done!
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Our homemade track... videos of just completed track

Post by Teeeman »

Haven’t been on in a while, sorry…

the question on why the start mech doesn’t impart motion…

1) the parts all move (save the slider you release with) “front to rear”
(all high energy parts move along the length of the track)

2) the base is heavy and equally important, the footprint is about 3 feet long
(by having all motion lengthwise, the footprint and the mass of the track itself all help to damp/absorb any imparted energy with little to no motion)

The operation of the release gate being front to rear (no sideways motion) was VERY much by design… it is the first release mechanism I’ve seen that operates this way (although I have little doubt I am NOT the first person to ever design one to operate this way, I simply haven’t seen another one).

So far as hinges… the piano hinge (about $8 at Lowe’s, cut to length…) works beautifully (lubed with WD-40).

The trigger hinge (the white part of the release mechanism that is also spring loaded and actually released the board with the pegs on the piano hing)… is simply riding on the smooth portion of a long 3/8” bolt (spaced with washers and PCV plumbing pipe pieces to cut lateral motion to a minimum).
Lube is again WD-40.
The trigger (white portion) is simply vinyl, cut from a cutting board bought at Wal-Mart.

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation