Formica track

DIY tracks.
CubScoutsDad
Journeyman
Journeyman

Formica track

Post by CubScoutsDad »

I am building a 45' wood track and covering it with formica. I have many years working wood and other materials, so making it smooth at the joints will not be a problem.

My question is has anyone every built or raced on a track that was covered with formica? If so what are you thoughts on them? Also the lane guides will be built out of 1/4" plywood and covered with formica.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Formica track

Post by TAL »

Hello ,
Sign in on the board and do a search formica track ...

I believe that topic has been discussed many times ...

I personally have'nt had any experience with that type surface...
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Formica is a brand name for plastic laminate surfacing. Other company product names would include Nevamar, Lamin-art, Wilsonart, & Pionite, all makers of fine quality laminate in a wide variety of colors and finishes.
The one you might be interested in would be the brushed Aluminum. :D
It will give you the smoothest surface, provided you can cover the additional cost of the material.
Check into some of the other names listed above for a cost difference Vs. Formica brand products. My office has found that the colors are close between the products when you are just talking about a solid color.
CubScoutsDad
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by CubScoutsDad »

pwdarchitect wrote:Formica is a brand name for plastic laminate surfacing. Other company product names would include Nevamar, Lamin-art, Wilsonart, & Pionite, all makers of fine quality laminate in a wide variety of colors and finishes.
The one you might be interested in would be the brushed Aluminum. :D
It will give you the smoothest surface, provided you can cover the additional cost of the material.
Check into some of the other names listed above for a cost difference Vs. Formica brand products. My office has found that the colors are close between the products when you are just talking about a solid color.
Well I guess I should have explained myself better. I tell my wife to get me a coke and she knows to bring me a Dr. Pepper.

I have already purchased the laminate. I call all Laminate Formica, I purchased Wilsonart laminate in the Atlantis color (deep blue). I looked at the color samples and seen the brushed aluminum and almost got it. The track if for Cub Scouts, so I decided to got with the blue base and yellow lane guides. I will post some pics when I get done.
Hurly64
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Hurly64 »

Formica is an excellent surface for PD. Another good choice is vinyl-covered MDF. It comes in 1/4" thickness. It is smoother than plastic laminate or formica or whatever you feel like calling it. What I like about it over plywood is that it doesn't warp or expand like plywood, and it machines well. The only problem is that it doesn't come in any colors except white. For what you want to do, plastic laminate is the way to go. My 32' 2-lane test track is built with the vinyl-coated MDF, its held up well over the past 3 years, and its up for grabs in about a month if anyone is interested.