Lane Guide Edges

DIY tracks.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Lane Guide Edges

Post by quadad »

I just finished building a new 3-lane test track with timer (inexpensive, modeled after others on this site) and noticed that in my rush to get done, the light sanding I gave the lane guide edges doesn't look very good.

My lane guides are ripped from a nice 2' x 8' sheet of 1/4" plywood (much better quality than the full sheet stuff). I gave them a light sanding and painted them to contrast with my white glossy panelling surface.

How smoothe should these be ? Are the going to reck the side walls of our cars ? I built this to experiment with RR for the first time (2 weeks till race check in). I am wondering what others do to prep same. I have plenty of time to clean them, but can't get too crazy since they are only 1 9/16" width now.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Lane Guide Edges

Post by ohiofitter »

I don't know how you have them attached..But our track has two pieces of 1/2 x 1/4 inch aluminum flat stock screwed down to the plywood....our track was built ten years ago...by some dads that had excellent woodworking skills. They put a white Formica down on the plywood and the flat stock as guides....I believe the track is just as good as a best track
Hurly64
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Hurly64 »

I use 3/4 x 1/1/2 inch MDF trim, ripped in half to net 1/4 x 1-1/2 pieces. The sawn edge faces down onto the track surface. That way, The wheels end up rubbing on factory edges. To answer your question, the edges need to be fairly smooth, as any saw marks will create inequalities from lane to lane. If they are not already nailed down to the track, you can gang the pieces together and take a belt sander to them.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

If they are nailed down, take a block of wood about the size of a PWD block wrap it in sand paper (you decided grit based on inspection of roughness) place something suitable under if to protect track deck (flat piece of aluminium) , and hand sand entire lenght. A longer block might give more consistent result but maybe harder to handle. As to smoothness, the smoother the better!
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Thanks for the comments. ... The good news is that I screwed everything together (my 2" x 4" upbringing). I think I will remove all the guides and stack them on their sides for sanding. Its unfortunately getting down to the wire with cars and track, but this shouldn't be too bad of a job. There also is probably a good deal of saw dust under these that could come out at the wrong time (result of my drilling, counter-sinking and screwing) which I could blow out while I am doing this.

I can't justify $60 worth of PVC trim for the lanes at this point (which was the best option I found at the local big box retailers). Its looking like a little more sweat equity ...