Building a "Go the Distance" type track question..

DIY tracks.
TOU
Journeyman
Journeyman

Building a "Go the Distance" type track question..

Post by TOU »

I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and I could only find one post related to this type of track. Well this next week, my church is hosting a fairly informal unlimited class type race on a 4 Lane Best Track with all the bells& whistles. Last year we had about 65-70 cars and are anticipating at least that and then some.

Okay that all said, we got thinking with that many people it might be nice to have an additional race event of some sort going on. The topic of the "Go the Distance" type track might be kind of fun and one more place that folks might have a chance to get an award. So...with time being short, is there anything that you all have used for the track portion of this to build yourself that can be bought at HD or Lowe's for a moderate price.

Thx in advance.

TOU
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Building a "Go the Distance" type track questi

Post by dna1990 »

3/8 or 1/2 MDF seems to fit the bill. I assume you mean to build a single lane, but very l o n g track?

A sheet of MDF here is about $14 I think. You could get eight 6" wide section or 64' per sheet. Minus kerf yada yada.

You can go lattice stripping for the rail, or something cheap and plastic for a side barriers only.

Need a few extra piexces to act as joints...

The MDF gives a very smoth ride, and will curve nicely to your starting height.

On the con side - It is heavy, does not like moisture at all, and makes a nasty dust when ripping it to size...but that is what I would use.

Two other thoughts (both based on Houston Council events):

They have a slalom race. I think it was 24' long and 4' wide (3 sheets MDF). A constant incline, I am guess 12" drop over its length. The challenge is to see what car goes the straightest, measured by where it hits the side rails or how far off center at the finish line.

They also have DeathDerby, a MDF based track with no center guide, placed in a U shape where cars are released towards one another. Fun, but not for those with 40-hour paint jobs and 80-hour alignment tuning.