Hub coning?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
BSAdadGriffindork
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Hub coning?

Post by BSAdadGriffindork »

whodathunkit wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:36 pm
BSAdadGriffindork wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:52 am
Is there a recommended tool or technique to polish the hubs? I’ve got some q-tip looking things for the bore that I was planning to use.
Tools Derbyworx wheel mandrel. corded or cordless drill.. or drill press.
Or if you need a different type of mandrel/ chuck to hold the wheel with out passing a screw threw the wheel bore.
https://www.turboderby.com/shop

You can use thing's like fluffy pipe cleaners, Q-tip steams, and Tamiya brand spears for polishing and waxing the wheel bores.
Q-tips, paper towels .. cut up T shirt rag's for hubs and treads and inner rim. Microfiber towels to clean / buff polish off axles .

image of a kit I made up for my son of items we use for the bores and hubs and treads.
I like using the Tamiya spears for polishing the wheel bores.. over using wired pipe cleaners or Q-tip shafts that can miss up a wheel bore if not used right.
You'll need to look at the item number as the come in different sizes and tip shapes .. image shows size that fits BSA wheel bores.
Item number 87106-260
There sizes and shapes:
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishin ... on-swab-7/

In the first image in a black package you'll see a Derbyworx wheel mandrel this is the tool i have to work with.
https://www.derbyworx.com/products/tool ... l-mandrel/
In the first stages of wheel prep we wash the wheels in warm soapy water and rinse the wheel and bores out in clean water and dry with compressed air blowing out the bores as well .
Next use a run out gauge to find the best wheels we can. Why do we wash the wheels first!
Dirt. dust. card board lent in the wheel bores from the boxed kits will destroy the bore if spun on a pin to the run out gauge tool.
Then we fix imperfections in the outer hub with the derbyworx pro hub shaver and use air to remove savings from the bores.
Move on using the mandrel and drill to fix the imperfections on the tread and inner wheel rim with sand papers.
clean and dry and blow out the wheels bores once more.. then re-check wheels on the run out gauge once more.. then re work the wheels as needed and clean once more.

Back to the mandrel and drill to spin the wheel.. to polish the inner rim and tread.. Q - tips, or paper towels , or a T- shirt rag can be used.
For the wheel tread we like using a wide pop cycle stick with polish on it.
Clean off polish and wash /dry wheel and bore before the last step of polishing the bores and hubs with out the mandrel.
We just hold the wheel in our hand and use a drill with a spear and polish for the wheel bore s.
Q-tips for the inner and outer hubs then clean off polish and wash and dry out wheel bore with air and check with looking glass.

Some will get more involved in there wheel prep process as far as keeping the wheels clean and free lent or polish in the bores before waxing the bores as well.
We also use a magnifying glass to check inside the wheel bores for trash and how the bore looks after polish.. good for looking at the axles as well for scratches.

For axles my son and I work them up to 3000 girt sand paper and then polish for graphite use. For oil lubes we try to get the axle as slick and shinny and as clean as we possibly can.
Anyway just a few items my son and I do and use for are wheel and axle prep.

For a wheel run out gauge idea. to check for the roundness of the wheel in relationship to the wheel bore.
FS has a topic on one.
https://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php ... +out+gauge

Wow. Truly wow! Thank you.

Y’all really go all out on your wheel prep. And the organization is equally impressive haha
BSAdadGriffindork
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by BSAdadGriffindork »

whodathunkit wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:36 pm
BSAdadGriffindork wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:52 am
Is there a recommended tool or technique to polish the hubs? I’ve got some q-tip looking things for the bore that I was planning to use.
Tools Derbyworx wheel mandrel. corded or cordless drill.. or drill press.
Or if you need a different type of mandrel/ chuck to hold the wheel with out passing a screw threw the wheel bore.
https://www.turboderby.com/shop

You can use thing's like fluffy pipe cleaners, Q-tip steams, and Tamiya brand spears for polishing and waxing the wheel bores.
Q-tips, paper towels .. cut up T shirt rag's for hubs and treads and inner rim. Microfiber towels to clean / buff polish off axles .

image of a kit I made up for my son of items we use for the bores and hubs and treads.
I like using the Tamiya spears for polishing the wheel bores.. over using wired pipe cleaners or Q-tip shafts that can miss up a wheel bore if not used right.
You'll need to look at the item number as the come in different sizes and tip shapes .. image shows size that fits BSA wheel bores.
Item number 87106-260
There sizes and shapes:
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishin ... on-swab-7/

In the first image in a black package you'll see a Derbyworx wheel mandrel this is the tool i have to work with.
https://www.derbyworx.com/products/tool ... l-mandrel/
In the first stages of wheel prep we wash the wheels in warm soapy water and rinse the wheel and bores out in clean water and dry with compressed air blowing out the bores as well .
Next use a run out gauge to find the best wheels we can. Why do we wash the wheels first!
Dirt. dust. card board lent in the wheel bores from the boxed kits will destroy the bore if spun on a pin to the run out gauge tool.
Then we fix imperfections in the outer hub with the derbyworx pro hub shaver and use air to remove savings from the bores.
Move on using the mandrel and drill to fix the imperfections on the tread and inner wheel rim with sand papers.
clean and dry and blow out the wheels bores once more.. then re-check wheels on the run out gauge once more.. then re work the wheels as needed and clean once more.

Back to the mandrel and drill to spin the wheel.. to polish the inner rim and tread.. Q - tips, or paper towels , or a T- shirt rag can be used.
For the wheel tread we like using a wide pop cycle stick with polish on it.
Clean off polish and wash /dry wheel and bore before the last step of polishing the bores and hubs with out the mandrel.
We just hold the wheel in our hand and use a drill with a spear and polish for the wheel bore s.
Q-tips for the inner and outer hubs then clean off polish and wash and dry out wheel bore with air and check with looking glass.

Some will get more involved in there wheel prep process as far as keeping the wheels clean and free lent or polish in the bores before waxing the bores as well.
We also use a magnifying glass to check inside the wheel bores for trash and how the bore looks after polish.. good for looking at the axles as well for scratches.

For axles my son and I work them up to 3000 girt sand paper and then polish for graphite use. For oil lubes we try to get the axle as slick and shinny and as clean as we possibly can.
Anyway just a few items my son and I do and use for are wheel and axle prep.

For a wheel run out gauge idea. to check for the roundness of the wheel in relationship to the wheel bore.
FS has a topic on one.
https://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php ... +out+gauge

Is there a particular “plastic” polish that you like to use?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

BSAdadGriffindork wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:42 pm Is there a particular “plastic” polish that you like to use?

Well to be trueful over the years I've been racing now.. I really don't have a particular as I've tried several types and different brands of polishes and wax's for the wheel bores.
As seen in the image below all of these have had there success with the graphite lubes in Scout Racing.
It was VK on here that posted that he uses Rejex that I thought my son and I would try out this year.

As a personal preference..
For running cars with the oil type lubes that are offered from the different Pinewood Derby vender's..
I also try to stick with there wheel/axle prep kits and polishes that are known to work with there oil lubes.

I will tell you this about one powder type lube to beware of that's the ( White Teflon Powder) As an alternative to graphite.. Don't use it !
In less your planning on running your car in a Turtle race and really trying to be slowest and last car to cross the finish line.
White Teflon Powder and Graphite do not mix together as well.. Gum's every thing up!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

These days, when I run oil, I use this stuff to coat both the bores and the axles:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/360 ... -lubricant

For the axles, we spray it on directly, shake off the excess, let it dry. For the bores, we spray some to pool in a paper cup, let it sit for maybe 10 minutes to let any propellant evaporate, then dip an applicator into it and use it to coat the inside of the wheel bores.

I have no idea if it's better than Rejex or Liquid Glass or any other coating for bores, but it's super easy to use and nice to have the same product for bores and axles.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Hay Thank’s VK .. I have some of that as well.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?