Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Post Reply
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:48 am
Location: Eagan, Minnesota

Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Sleestak »

I need a drop and a large can is $38. Blah

Any other ideas for wheel hubs after novus 2 polish?

Using oil not graphite.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm
Location: Hudsonville, Michigan

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Loud2ns »

Sleestak wrote:I need a drop and a large can is $38. Blah

Any other ideas for wheel hubs after novus 2 polish?

Using oil not graphite.
Mequires quick wax, lucas slick mist, rejex, turtle wax black ice. You're looking for a synthetic product to act as a sealant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kindintentions
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:02 am
Location: Cranford, NJ

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Kindintentions »

Make sure the synthetic wax is both hydrophobic (repels water) and oleophobic (repels oil), as I have seen they almost always indicate that they are hydrophobic, but only a few state that they are also oleophobic.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:48 am
Location: Eagan, Minnesota

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Sleestak »

Thanks much!
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:48 am
Location: Eagan, Minnesota

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Sleestak »

Kindintentions wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am Make sure the synthetic wax is both hydrophobic (repels water) and oleophobic (repels oil), as I have seen they almost always indicate that they are hydrophobic, but only a few state that they are also oleophobic.
Do you know of a specific brand that is oleophobic? This way I just look for this.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm
Location: Hudsonville, Michigan

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Loud2ns »

Sleestak wrote:
Kindintentions wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am Make sure the synthetic wax is both hydrophobic (repels water) and oleophobic (repels oil), as I have seen they almost always indicate that they are hydrophobic, but only a few state that they are also oleophobic.
Do you know of a specific brand that is oleophobic? This way I just look for this.
Mequires quick wax, lucas slick mist, rejex, turtle wax black ice. You're looking for a synthetic product to act as a sealant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

User avatar
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 539
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:33 am
Location: MN

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by davet »

Red Rocket has worked well for us. Lasts forever using on derby cars.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm
Location: Hudsonville, Michigan

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Loud2ns »

davet wrote:Red Rocket has worked well for us. Lasts forever using on derby cars.
Yes, RR works well also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

User avatar
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 2822
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Boogerton, PA

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by FatSebastian »

Kindintentions wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 amMake sure the synthetic wax is both hydrophobic (repels water) and oleophobic (repels oil), as I have seen they almost always indicate that they are hydrophobic, but only a few state that they are also oleophobic.
Sleestak wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:48 amDo you know of a specific brand that is oleophobic?
Some treatment products I've seen recommended market no claims about their oleophobic ("oil-phobic") properties, despite likely having some. For those of us still inexperienced with liquid lubes, is there a layman's test to indicate if a hydrophobic product is also oleophobic? (For example, coating a piece of plate glass or clear acrylic and seeing if an oily substance will bead vs. cling?) As new or improved commercial products come along, it would be nice to have an obvious way to check before using it on the wheels...
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm
Location: Hudsonville, Michigan

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Loud2ns »

FatSebastian wrote:
Kindintentions wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 amMake sure the synthetic wax is both hydrophobic (repels water) and oleophobic (repels oil), as I have seen they almost always indicate that they are hydrophobic, but only a few state that they are also oleophobic.
Sleestak wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:48 amDo you know of a specific brand that is oleophobic?
Some treatment products I've seen recommended market no claims about their oleophobic ("oil-phobic") properties, despite likely having some. For those of us still inexperienced with liquid lubes, is there a layman's test to indicate if a hydrophobic product is also oleophobic? (For example, coating a piece of plate glass or clear acrylic and seeing if an oily substance will bead vs. cling?) As new or improved commercial products come along, it would be nice to have an obvious way to check before using it on the wheels...
I don't have a test, but I do have all the products I listed above in my toolbox. I was told by someone faster than I am that the derby oil blends act more like water than oil.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk


User avatar
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Spotsylvania, VA

Re: Cheaper alternative than liquid glass

Post by Vitamin K »

Some kind of test would be great, but I don't know that any has definitively shown a correlation between beading behavior and speed. I usually just follow the advice of what the fast guys say works.
Post Reply