Missouri, Etc.

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Re: To True or not to True, that is the question!

Post by RACER X »

Stan Pope wrote:
RACER X wrote:This is why this place is full of children asking for help and not adults debating over how to build a car, RIGHT!!!
We can hope that most of us will take what we learn here and go teach it to some youngsters! (I will! They are already on my calendar!)
I hope we are all using our new found knowlege for the betterment of the children, but I think we all talk a little smak!!! Ya know what I mean. :lol:
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

RACER X wrote:but I think we all talk a little smak!!! Ya know what I mean. :lol:
I'm not familiar with the phrase. A Missouri colloquialism? Big city talk?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Stan Pope wrote:
RACER X wrote:but I think we all talk a little smak!!! Ya know what I mean. :lol:
I'm not familiar with the phrase. A Missouri colloquialism? Big city talk?
A piece of Missouri conversation, No! But it could be said that it is the use of a word, in an informal conversation, for a descriptive purposes. 8)

I also take it that you assume that because I am from the St. Louis area, that I must live in Missouri? :roll:

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

RACER X wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:I'm not familiar with the phrase. A Missouri colloquialism? Big city talk?
A piece of Missouri conversation, No! But it could be said that it is the use of a word, in an informal conversation, for a descriptive purposes. 8)
,,, O...kay...ummm.... but I still haven't the foggiest what you were you were trying to communicate. Oh, well.
RACER X wrote:I also take it that you assume that because I am from the St. Louis area, that I must live in Missouri? :roll:
Or at least rather affected by its proximity. Missouri does rub off on a person! If you do live in MO, then we have common roots. If you live in IL, we still have common roots. If you live in Arkansas, ... well, I'll stop before I really step in it. :)
Stan
Splinter Sprinter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Splinter Sprinter »

Stan Pope wrote:
RACER X wrote:This is why this place is full of children asking for help and not adults debating over how to build a car, RIGHT!!!
We can hope that most of us will take what we learn here and go teach it to some youngsters! (I will! They are already on my calendar!)
If I’m pressed for the reasons why I’m in this PWD thing so deep is probably because of my experience with my dad building our cars.

I can’t remember all the details that well, but I imagine my dad did most of the carving and power tool work. My brothers and I did all of the sanding, painting and racing. We always had very cool and detailed cars and always did well at the races. And because of that I have to carry on the torch.

I bet if we didn’t spend a lot of quality time together building or didn’t do well at the races I wouldn’t be that driven to continue the lineage.

So with that, years down the road I hope it will be my son remembering time spent with me as he sits down with his son, even if his son doesn’t build 100% of the car it’s about the time spent together. And an opportunity for him to live vicariously through his son, as I do now, remembering those long ago times with my pop.
Pinewood Derby- It’s not the destination, but the journey,for Two-There is no finish line!
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Splinter Sprinter wrote:So with that, years down the road I hope it will be my son remembering time spent with me as he sits down with his son, even if his son doesn’t build 100% of the car it’s about the time spent together. And an opportunity for him to live vicariously through his son, as I do now, remembering those long ago times with my pop.

Now this is exactlly what it is all about!!!!!!

This will be my little guy's 3rd. P.W.D. and he is really excited, more than ever. :D

RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Stan Pope wrote:Or at least rather affected by its proximity. Missouri does rub off on a person! If you do live in MO, then we have common roots. If you live in IL, we still have common roots. If you live in Arkansas, ... well, I'll stop before I really step in it. :)
See Stan, you answered your own question. You almost steped in some "Smak". You know, we all talk a little smak sometimes.

And yes, I do live in Illinois, but my business is in Missouri so I am all mixed up. I can "Show you the Land of Lincoln" I hope you got that. :roll:

Splinter Sprinter
Journeyman
Journeyman

RACER X wrote:
Splinter Sprinter wrote:So with that, years down the road I hope it will be my son remembering time spent with me as he sits down with his son, even if his son doesn’t build 100% of the car it’s about the time spent together. And an opportunity for him to live vicariously through his son, as I do now, remembering those long ago times with my pop.
Now this is exactlly what it is all about!!!!!!

This will be my little guy's 3rd. P.W.D. and he is really excited, more than ever. :D
RX-you see Mississippi River Rats think alike! Collinsville, Edwardsville, Alton or Wood River????
Pinewood Derby- It’s not the destination, but the journey,for Two-There is no finish line!
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Splinter Sprinter wrote:RX-you see Mississippi River Rats think alike! Collinsville, Edwardsville, Alton or Wood River????
I see ya know the turf, you must of done the time. I am a little south, Belleville or Millstadt.

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

RACER X wrote:I see ya know the turf, you must of done the time. I am a little south, Belleville or Millstadt.
I did 4 years in Carbondale, caught a sweet young gal from nearby (Herrin) and headed for Houston. Did 4+ years there, then came "back home." Three kids later and 6 grandkids later, I'm enjoying the good life!
Stan
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Stan Pope wrote:
RACER X wrote:I see ya know the turf, you must of done the time. I am a little south, Belleville or Millstadt.
I did 4 years in Carbondale, caught a sweet young gal from nearby (Herrin) and headed for Houston. Did 4+ years there, then came "back home." Three kids later and 6 grandkids later, I'm enjoying the good life!
I see, are you an alumni of Carbondale?

I wasted a bit of youth their myself, not at school.

My fathers family was origionaly from Murphysboro,

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

RACER X wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:I did 4 years in Carbondale, caught a sweet young gal from nearby (Herrin) and headed for Houston. Did 4+ years there, then came "back home." Three kids later and 6 grandkids later, I'm enjoying the good life!
I see, are you an alumni of Carbondale?

There are two "institutions of higher learning" in that area... at Carbondale (SIU) and at Marion (Federal Maximum Security Prison). I did the one in Carbondale!
Stan
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Stan Pope wrote:
RACER X wrote: I see, are you an alumni of Carbondale?

There are two "institutions of higher learning" in that area... at Carbondale (SIU) and at Marion (Federal Maximum Security Prison). I did the one in Carbondale!
You are killing me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!

I know I wasn't at the Marrion either, I would have to believe that they are a little short on college girls . :P

I would of thought that Carbondale is the institution of higher learning and Marrion is a Votech.

Splinter Sprinter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Rex-I think Stan might be a wolf in sheep’s clothing. We all know SIU was a “Professional Party School” in the late 60’s- early 70’s.

He probably got his first lesson in gravity and rolling cars (rolling them over) during the wild Halloween celebration at SIU. I bet he was right in the middle of it all. :dance:
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

RACER X wrote:You are killing me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!

I know I wasn't at the Marrion either, I would have to believe that they are a little short on college girls . :P
They find substitutes, I am told ... I was a bit grossed when a regular [censored] caller to the local "drive home" show on the radio dropped the phrase "prison bi###es". I'm hoping that the radio station institutes an "editing delay" to help manage that kind of contribution!
RACER X wrote:I would of thought that Carbondale is the institution of higher learning and Marrion is a Votech.
Point well taken. However, it is a matter of perspective and aspiration.
Splinter Sprinter wrote:I think Stan might be a wolf in sheep’s clothing. We all know SIU was a “Professional Party School” in the late 60’s- early 70’s.

He probably got his first lesson in gravity and rolling cars (rolling them over) during the wild Halloween celebration at SIU. I bet he was right in the middle of it all.
I'm more like a sheep in wolf's clothing. As a married college student, I did most of my "celebrating" at home! Between classes and job, I had little time for partying.
Stan